Arriving in Oman
Whether you are coming to Oman for the first time, the International Student Support Office can help you with what you need to do before you arrive and when you get here as a new international student.
Before you arrive
If you are coming to Oman for study from a country beyond the Arabic Peninsula, please bear the following in mind:
- First, ensure that you have all original documents (or duly attested certificates and transcripts). All of requested documents mentioned in the admission application.
- It is advisable to carry at least USD 500 in cash with you which can be exchanged to Omani Rial very easily on any of the exchange houses in Salalah. You will need this cash till your bank account is opened which will take a week after your arrival.
If your flight is not through Muscat (direct to Salalah), DU is pleased to offer a meet ‘n’ greet service at the airport and bring you to the university or your reserved accommodation within Salalah. For this, you have to contact Mr. Ahmad at +968 23237012 or by email at email@example.com.
Weather conditions and clothing
The weather in Oman is considered hot and humid for most of the time thought the year. However, Salalah in region of Dhofar enjoys a milder weather compared to rest regions of Oman. It is advised that you pack suitable clothes that suits such kind of weather in addition to any medication or sun block lotion you might need for any kind of allergy that is associated to such weather, if any. Check the local weather forecast https://www.weather-forecast.com
We understand that finding answers to all your questions be it small or big is very important, to help you settle down quickly and comfortably. The peer mentor scheme provides you with a friendly peer who act as a friend and mentor and would gladly help and support you in settling down very easily. The peer mentor will be like your local guide who will be glad to not only answer all queries but to let you have a good initial understanding of the university and the city of Salalah including the local Dhofari culture. You have to send in a request to the Mr. Ahmad Aqeel ba Omar email: for allocation of a peer mentor.
Following are the student visa conditions.
- Complete the required procedures in the department of admission & registration
- Pay the required tuition fees to the department of financial affairs
- Submitting the required documents for the Royal Oman Police immigration department (copy of passport, personal photo and NOC letter form the pervious sponsor if existed)
- Copy of the Passports, pervious visa and NOC letter form the parent (father or mother) if they are Omani resident card holder
- Copy of the passports the parents residing in oman.
Getting a student Visa
Visa assistance shall be provided to you by the university and the International student support team shall take all responsibility. The Documentation shall be completed by the office after you submit to them all requite documents required before your arrival in Oman, the copy of the visa shall be mailed to you to be presented by you to the immigration counter when you arrive in Muscat or Salalah. The visa will be stamped on your passport and you have the permission to stay in Oman. Usually the visa is granted for two years only which are renewable as per requirement.
Police registration and Resident card
Once you will arrive in Salalah the team shall take care of getting your police registration done and obtain a “resident card” the sole identification used anywhere in the country. The resident card is valid for two years and is a must for opening of bank accounts and all other formalities.