The Learning Support Center, or LSC, provides students with individualized assistance in a supportive atmosphere for various academic disciplines. It is a place where students are taught to become more efficient and effective learners. The LSC first opened on 27 November, 2010 in the Fall semester with a Coordinator and 9 Peer Tutors helping students in English and IT. Today the LSC has a Coordinator and over 30 part-time peer tutors providing tutoring sessions in English, IT, Math, Social Science, Business, Finance, Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Law and Arabic. The LSC provided 2700 tutoring sessions in the Fall semester 2018/2019.
The LSC’s goals are to:
- Improve students’ reading, writing, note-taking vocabulary building and exam-taking strategies
- Provide review sessions in selected course subject areas like Math, English, IT, Chemistry and Social Science
- Support students with specific academic problems, particularly those who are on probation or at-risk
- Help students access supplementary resources for various academic disciplines
- Increase awareness of the importance of following the teacher’s instructions for each assignment and project
Ms. Mediha Younis is the LSC coordinator. There is also a team of qualified, trained peer tutors who conduct the tutoring sessions under the supervision of the Coordinator. Please contact Mediha Younis at: firstname.lastname@example.org for further information. .
How to find us:
The LSC is located in the Library on the first floor (right side).
Arranging a tutoring session:
- Students can sign up for a tutoring session in person at the LSC or by calling the coordinator. They can also just drop by for a tutoring session and if a PT is available they can have a tutoring session on the spot.
- Instructors can support the students at risk by discussing with them the benefits of attending tutoring sessions at the LSC.
In addition to benefiting DU students, the LSC also benefits the peer tutors by providing them with valuable training, experience and supervision to help them develop their professional, academic and English language skills. This opportunity will help prepare the PTs with the skills and the attitude which are important for success in their professional and/or teaching careers. Applications for Peer Tutors are accepted during the registration and ‘add and drop’ period every semester. Application forms are available at the LSC. The Learning Support Center, or LSC, provides students with individualized assistance in a supportive atmosphere for various academic disciplines. It is a place where students are taught to become more efficient and effective learners. Among its many tasks, the center helps students in:
- Reading, writing, note-taking and exam-taking strategies
- Providing review sessions in selected course subject areas like Math and English
- Supporting students with specific academic problems, particularly those who are on probation or at-risk
- Accessing supplementary resources for various academic disciplines
What our students say:
“The service offered to students was invaluable to me due to the friendly staff, knowledgeable tutors and a welcoming atmosphere in LSC. Without the care and attention given to me by the team, I don’t feel I could have achieved what I did.”
‘Business Management Student, 2018’
Peer Tutor of the Month
Peer Tutor of the Month (February)
Omani Peer Tutoring Network (OPTN)
The Omani Peer Tutoring Network (OPTN) aims to connect peer mentoring programs with various writing centers through the Sultanate of Oman by sharing common experiences, effective pedagogy, and resources for cooperative learning and independent initiative.
To play a supportive role in guiding students towards academic success, installing quality study habits, and establishing peer tutoring as a standard educational resource.
- To provide a channel of communication for the peer tutors in Oman.
- To promote the professional development of peer tutors to become contributing members of the Omani society.
- To strive and promote academic excellence.
- To encourage other institutions to integrate peer tutoring as a standard student support element.
LSC Staff List
|Name||Job Title||Contact No.||Office No.|
|Mediha Younis||Coordinator||9929 email@example.com||23237266|
LSC Student Monthly Record Fall 2018/2019
|Learning Support Center
Number of Students in
|Tutoring Session Conducted|
|Total = 2700|